The Authorial's Popularity!

Labels

Thursday, 19 May 2011

POETRY: A Decade.

To Melvin 'George' Hawdon, Beloved Husband, Father, Grandfather.
Still one of the greatest men I've ever known.

It's really been that long,
19th May.
It's your day.
And like a grenade in my hand
I wait for it to go off
The realisation,
That this year marks a decade.
Granddad.
I was 8, you've missed a lot,
The birds and the bees,
Me falling in love,
Exam season,
My 18th birthday,
The pub; necking a pint.
All things I know you'd of liked to see
Me, grow up.
And I am sad, for I have no stories
Not like the others do
Of you.
I can't tell my children about you,
Not like I've been told about you, the legends.
Even though these moments you missed,
I always spared a thought, about you, asking...

"Would you be proud of me now?"

And I hope you are.
It's really been a decade,
It's really been so long.
But it still hasn't been forgotten,
Nor will it ever be.
Rest in peace Granddad;
I miss you,
You've missed a lot
But
I hope I make you proud in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment